Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Journey Through TKGA Basics, Basics, Basics Lesson 1

This class is through TGKA and I am taking it in preparation to become a Master Knitter. The class is not required for the Master’s Program, but I would like to correct any problems with my knitting here rather than in the Master’s timeframe.

1/15 - Received the packet and instructions. excited to begin. I have orders some knitting reference books to help me through the class, but the resources included in the course are very comprehensive.

1/18 - Purchased the yarn and will cast on the first swatch while DH is taking his online graduate class.

1/19 - Finished first swatch. Simple two by two rib, bar increase and garter stitch. I am happy with the result, so I answered the questions and plan to weave in the ends and block.

1/19 - Started the second swatch, but I am getting tensioning stripes, so I reknit. Still had tensioning stripes, but blocked to see the extent of the problem.

1/20 the stripes are still there. Did some research and going to try making a striped stockinette stitch swatch is locate the problem. Found the suggestion here:http://knittsings.com/how-to-diagnose-and-fix-stockinette-tension-problems-to-improve-hand-knitting-for-tkga-swatches/

1/25 Knit the swatch and blocked it. Found that it is indeed my knit rows that are too loose, which is funny because I knit continental. I also knit a couple of other small swatches to figure out how to fix it. I found that when I relax, the knitting turns out evenly.

1/25 Cast on again for the 2nd swatch, was interrupted by life, so will continue later.

1/27 - I tried knitting the second swatch again a few times, the striping was less noticeable each time, but it is driving me crazy. I decided to set it aside, and move on to the next one. We will see what happens.
1/28 - Moved on to the third swatch. I have done right and left slanting increase before, but for some reason they just aren’t looking right. Need to do some more research before I move on.

1/30 - Snowed in today. Spent most of the morning practicing tension. I feel like I have made quite a bit of progress. I tightened up on my knit stitches and relaxed on the purl and it is much better. Every once in a while, I forget and have some striping. By afternoon, I was feeling pretty confident, so I knit the last three swatches. In general, I am pretty happy. On swatch three my left increases are a bit stretched out, even after reknitting the swatch several times. I am going to submit anyhow, and see what feedback I get. I still need to weave in ends and block. When I see the final results, I may reknit swatch 2 to reflect my changes in tension. We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment